Monday, October 8, 2007

Some thoughts at the end of the first leg of our tour.

Now that we've arrived on the west coast of the continental U.S., I have a few thoughts to share:


1. 85 octane gas just doesn't work as well as 87. My car's tachometer proved this when my car shuddered up a hill at 5000RPMs, which scares me. I don't know if the gas is the real reason for this, but I'd like to believe it is. 85 octane gas is only available past the Mississippi it seems, and I gotta believe there's something behind it. Cue Patrick to make me look like a fool on this thought.

2. The further west you go, the higher the speed limit. I-90 made it to 80mph, if I remember properly somewhere around Wyoming. It's love.

3. Air mattresses are a gift from the gods on a road trip. There's never such a thing as sleeping on the floor when you have a couple of these.

4. There are a few perfect road trip songs. Let me proffer the following:
a) "King of the Road" --Roger Miller
b) "Take it Easy" --The Eagles
c) "Let's Get Out of this Country" --Camera Obscura
d) "I Drove All Night" --Roy Orbison
e) "Fist City" --Loretta Lynn


Please feel free to add to this list!
Thanks for reading along.
Keep it up, and we'll let you know about Portland, OR!

5 comments:

lacey said...

Could be 85 octane or possibly high altitudes. When you get up in the mountains, there is less oxygen help combust things and make yr car go fast. Something like that. Don't ask me how I know but I swear it's true!

Unknown said...

Another great road trip song:

"Far, Far Away" by Wilco from Being There. It's a great dreamy track that envokes images of lonely highway driving. But it's a pretty low key tune, it may make you fall asleep behind the wheel!

Marty Cooperman said...

Laura and Ben,
You survived Yellowstone! Rats, foiled again. I gave you a lightweight sleeping bag that was certain to leave you frozen stiff, but that airtight tent kept in some heat along with all the expelled carbon dioxide and saved you. Barely.

Now, the comparison: did you like Yellowstone or Glacier better?
Or is it rather that you were warmer in Glacier than in Yellowstone?

Laura, if you get the chance you can visit all those nice islands in Puget Sound or the Olympic Rain Forest, but steer clearn of the places you and I were at this summer. They still give me an icky feeling.

Looking for more from you.
Love, Dad

Fr0nt|er said...

Dude... Marty... I told them they could have just cuddled up in the one sleeping bag... ya know... for warmth... But both of them gave me a horrified look at that suggestion...

wait... maybe I shouldn't be saying that to the father... err...

forget everything I said!

-Derek

Joe Leavenworth said...

to add to #4...

M.I.A. - Paper Planes

looks like the trip is going super well.